Update # 7 - BVOY Travel Journal Evolution
Today we thought it would be interesting to share the many different stages that the BVOY Travel Journal went through before being what it is today!
1. Travel Journal Prompts on Post It Notes: After returning from our California road trip with the idea for this journal we had a brainstorming session where we wrote out all the prompts we could include in the journal on Post It notes.
2. Hand-Written Prototype: After brainstorming, we hand wrote a prototype with some folded pieces of blank paper. This was our very first version and Jo took it on a cruise to test it out as she was going to be travelling. Afterwards, Jen travelled with it to India and we both incorporated our feedback into the next version.
3. Typed Prototype: After returning from travelling with the hand-written prototype, we edited some of the prompts to ensure they inspired the feelings we wanted writers to feel during their travels. We also removed some of the prompts, which included daily affirmations and happiness checklists, as we thought they did not add value to this specific journal. We also didn't want to have too many components in the journal.
4. Designed Prototype: At this point we partnered with our super talented Graphic Designer Mikie Jae (@miksjae) to bring the journal to life by designing the layout and aesthetics. In this version we included personalized letters and instruction pages to complete the journal.
5. Journal Specs: There were several product specs we had to decide on in order to manufacture a sample product. One thing we went back and forth on was the cover colour. We knew we wanted a faux leather cover and we were interested in a dark navy colour. We weren’t sure if the material and colour would complement each other and were close to sticking with black since it was a safe bet. In the end we took a chance and went with blue and we’re very happy with how it turned out!
6. First Sample without Indexing: We were heading to Costa Rica for a friend’s wedding and thought it would be perfect to have a sample of the journal so we could take product shots during our time away. We worked with our manufacturer to have a sample made but in her words the initial one came out “very ugly”!! She made us another one at the last minute but couldn't have the indexing cut in time which separates each section of the journal.
7. Second Sample with Indexing: Finally we had a close to final sample in our hands! It’s amazing to hold and flip through this journal given all the hard work that went into it over the past year :)
8. Final Journal with Double Ribbon: The final touch was recently deciding to include a second ribbon in the journal to make it easier to flip to your Travel Focus chart as well as your daily travel pages.
We hope you enjoyed this sneak peak into the progress of the BVOY Travel Journal!
Jo & Jen